The Slade firm expanded to Hant’s Harbour in 1835 leasing a fishing
room from Richard Pelley and placed Andrew Tocher in charge. In 1847
the Slade agent was James Lockyer Mews, an Englishman, who had earlier
spent some time in service at the Trinity headquarters. William
Bremner, from having married a Hant’s Harbour a girl of that place,
Ann Tilley was perhaps a clerk for some time there with the firm.
Mew’s successor was Mr. Watson, an Englishman, who bought out the
premises at the 1861 insolvency and carried on business there himself.
Later, the premises were owned by the two St. John’s firms of
Goodridge’s and Job Brothers, the Port Union firm of the Fishermen’s
Union Trading Co., Mr. Archibald Targett and today, the Janes family.
For more information regarding Hant's Harbour click here.